Easiest Way to Make Perfect Yakitori (chicken on skewer)
Yakitori (chicken on skewer). These chicken skewers are a classic food served at izakaya, Japanese-tapas style pubs, where frosty beer, tasty bites, and jolly chatters are all part of the deal. They are also the kind of iconic food you can find at specialty restaurants that serve nothing else but Yakitori. The good news is anyone can easily.
This Japanese-style chicken is a family favorite because layers of sweet and savory flavors are generously added to each skewer as it cooks. Yakitori is a Japanese skewered chicken, cooked on a griller with either sweet soy sauce or just salt. Great for entertaining a big crowd as it is a kind of finger food. You can cook Yakitori (chicken on skewer) using 3 ingredients and 6 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
Ingredients of Yakitori (chicken on skewer)
- You need Pound of boneless chicken thigh.
- It’s 3 tbsp of each soy sauce, sugar, mirin and sake.
- Prepare 1-2 of Japanese negi (green onion) or leek.
It is so tasty and easy to eat that you will not realise how many skewers you eat! Yakitori (焼き鳥) is probably one of the most popular dishes. Chasing perfect yakitori—Japanese-style grilled skewered chicken—is a lifelong, full-time pursuit for some. Restaurants in Japan tend to be quite different from those in the States.
Yakitori (chicken on skewer) step by step
- Cut chicken into a bite size. Marinate in soy sauce, sugar, mirin and sake (mixed well) for over 1 hour. (preferably over night).
- Cut negi in a bite size..
- Cook marinated chicken and raw negi in a medium pan. Start with medium heat and lower heat until chicken is thoroughly cooked. (Negi is ready when chicken is cooked.).
- Skewer cooked chicken and negi alternately..
- If you like tare (sauce) to eat with, you can save marinated juice and heat in a small pan until thickened. Spread over skewered chicken and negi or sauce can be served as a dip..
- For someone who likes it hot, Shichimi (Japanese seven-flavor chili pepper) is commonly used. Sprinkle over when you eat..
Yakitori (Japanese: 焼き鳥) is a Japanese type of skewered chicken. Its preparation involves skewering the meat with kushi (串), a type of skewer typically made of steel, bamboo, or similar materials. Afterwards, they are grilled over a charcoal fire. Brush with yakitori sauce and continue cooking, turning and basting with. Yakitori is a popular dish of Japanese skewered grilled chicken.